Are you looking to develop a quality e-commerce website but are unsure what the best tool to use is? There are lots of platforms you can choose to develop your e-commerce site, meaning finding the right one for your site can be difficult without experience and expert advice. With an increase in online shopping, having an e-commerce site that functions as desired and stands out from competitors is more important than ever.
We have created a list of what we feel are the best e-commerce tools for any business looking to create a competitive and highly functioning website.
WooCommerce is an e-commerce platform that is available for free. It is designed specifically for those wishing to add an e-commerce function to their WordPress site meaning it is easy to both integrate into and use on a WordPress site.
- Although there are some features that need to be purchased to create a better store experience, there is a free version of this platform which functions to an adequate level of the user.
- WooCommerce is highly scalable meaning it is suitable for businesses of all sizes and allows businesses to expand past the plugin’s capabilities.
- The WooCommerce platform is highly customisable. The wide range of free plugins the platform offers allows it to be used for a range of stores and products. The platform also offers a vast range of customisable themes to allow users to create the aesthetic are looking for.
- Set up of an e-commerce site with this platform is more complicated than other options as it doesn’t employ a simple drag and drop set-up.
- WooCommerce is a WordPress specific plugin, meaning it can only be used with sites hosted by WordPress.
- Although it is free to download, there are several extra expenses for extensions that will support site operations at optimum capacity.
Magento utilises next-generation technology to create a unique experience for users. Magento allows users to build their store, manage it and track orders, as well as run SEO capabilities to optimise the e-commerce platform.
- Magento provides access to detailed analytics that allow users to optimise their store.
- It is a highly customisable and flexible platform. The open-source nature of this platform gives the user the freedom to create customisable templates in order to build a fully on-brand storefront for their business.
- Magento built-in features offer the users all the core features they require to create a standard e-commerce site. Other features can be added for a more advanced e-commerce platform.
- Magento offers built-in advanced SEO capabilities eliminating the need for extra plugins.
- Magento has many customisable features, however it requires developers with technical knowledge to set up. Its complicated architecture requires expertise to time.
- Magento is a more expensive option than other e-commerce platforms. Customising, plugin support and development all require extra costs, as well as hosting and maintenance.
If you are looking to create your e-commerce store using Magento, it is recommended that you work with an agency that specialises in Magento development.
Shopify is a complete e-commerce platform that allows the user to create, grow, and manage their business online. As a subscription-based platform, this is an option any business can use to create their online store. It also provides an opportunity to sell in a physical location through the POS app.
- Shopify is a good platform for start-ups due to its drag and drop website builder making it simple and easy to use for all businesses, regardless of experience or technical knowledge.
- Shopify is a fully-hosted package which means that all backups and updates are done behind the scenes on the platform.
- This platform has its own built-in marketing tools that are able to run ad campaigns on both Facebook and Google. This will provide users with extra marketing support where needed, to support their business growth.
- Shopify offers a simple single dashboard that allows the user to manage all aspects of the e-commerce site, from orders to payment and shipping.
- In order to use the more advanced features on the platform users have to pay a higher price.
- Shopify has more hidden costs than other options including transaction fees and the need for additional apps for functionality. These extra costs increase the running costs of the online store.
- Although there are aspects of this platform that increase usability, its editor is less intuitive than other platform options available.
Our team of experts are regularly trained in a wide range of e-commerce development tools to ensure we have the best levels of experience and skills available for your business. All our experts have a min of 3 to 4 years experience and undergo ongoing training and support to ensure that we always provide the best service possible. We can resource projects across all the most popular environments.
Building an e-commerce site can present challenges and having an expert to guide you offers a high level of support and assurance that the time and money you are spending will result in a functional site that converts. If you are considering building an e-commerce site yourself the above information will provide some understanding on the platforms available and how they will benefit your business and its aims.
Are you looking to make your business stand out with e-commerce website design? Find helpful tips and advice here.
Finding the first e-commerce platform for your business is important, however many don’t have access to the resources needed for designing and developing their e-commerce site once initially created. At Digital Aptech we offer a range of scalable resources to support your business needs. Get in touch with our team to find out how we can help make outsourcing a reliable and sustainable way to grow your business.